The monthly scientific magazine «Musicology» – covers a wide thematic range of questions and publishes scientific, training, methodical and methodological materials and reviews of researches in the field of the theory of music, music history as art form, its main historical directions, history of various musical and ethnic traditions, folklore studies, various forms of musical activity (including composer performing, pedagogical, scientific-theoretical, etc.), the general and special theory of music, philosophy and sociology of music, musical cultural science, psychology of music, types and forms of functioning of music in society, etc. The concept of the magazine is stood on representation in the most complete and objective idea of development and a condition of modern musicological thought in Russia.
Articles, in which are published in the magazine:
- the analysis of formation and development of history of music in its historical and theoretical, esthetic and cultural and applied contexts is given;
- results of the researches which are carried out by the author(s) in which influence on common cultural and specifically musical processes of unknown or the low-studied facts of musical history is revealed earlier are stated;
- the theory, practice and methodology of the performing and pedagogical innovations which are of scientific and historical value is analyzed;
- questions of formation and development of scientific music schools and the directions, a role of their founders – the leading theorists (musicologists, historians, culturologists) having an inherent value for world musical culture, establishment and justification of theoretical concepts of the past and the present in development new studying of musical heritage are considered;
- generalization of historical and scientific material for the purpose of a reconstruction of a complete picture of formation and development of the separate and interdisciplinary sciences investigating a musical esthetics, semiotics, a source study, creativity psychology, applied music, the theory and history of musical language is given;
- questions of the theory and practice of performance, development and interference of performing schools of national and universal scale are taken up;
- the main questions making a problem field of bases of music education, history and practice of musical educational institutions, stories of formation and development of musical societies and organizations are analyzed;
- results of the researches which are carried out by the author(s) in the field of the special theory of music in total of the disciplines making it are stated: melodics, rhythmics, harmony, polyphony (counterpoint), theory and analysis of musical forms, equipment of composition, instrumentology: orchestration and theory of orchestral styles, history of theoretical doctrines;
- the theory, a technique on studying and research of musical sources is developed, set of the principles, methods and receptions allowing to reach significant scientific results is defined;
- results of researches of problems of the theory and history of musical language, key features of means of expression of music are stated;
- the scientific results on studying of history of formation and development of the certain directions of domestic and world musicology based on the analysis of archival and other documents, and also earlier unknown musical and historical data and the facts are proved.
Headings of the magazine: Questions of the theory of music, Performing art, Psychology of musical creativity, Music in theater and in movie, Folkloristic, Theory and history of musical culture, Modern musical culture, Problem of professional music education, Pedagogical workshop, Pedagogics questions, History of musical art, History of creation and production of musical instruments, Review, Announcements, Debatable tribune, Anniversaries, Conferences.